Monday, June 1

aaaahhh summer aaaapple crisp

We devoured this too quickly for me to snap a shot, so here's another borrowed flickr pic. These people take better pictures than me anyway, so part of me wonders why I bother... The only thing missing here is some Blue Bell Vanilla Bean.
photo belongs to minimallyinvasive
Ignore my crazed ramblings at the end and just make this according to the directions. If it's disastrous, then read my ramblings. Read them and laugh at the food blogger that supplies you with a recipe then states that she, in fact, is confused and has no idea what she's doing or where she's leading you.

INGREDIENTS
adapted from AllRecipes.com and Joy of Baking
3 - 4 cups apples: peeled, cored and cut in bite sized pieces
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon zest

1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter, chilled
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the sliced apples in a 8x8 inch pan, or deep pie dish. Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over all. Combine the oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Grate or cut butter into mixture and combine with hands or pastry blender. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.Bake at 350 degrees for about 30- 35 minutes.


Ok. I'm being honest with you people...

I think this is what I made.

In regard to the filling, add the water slowly, you may not want it all, and maybe skimp on the sugar, a bit. I thirded? is that a word? a recipe and combined it with halving another. What I'm trying to say is that there may be too much filling. I'm not really sure what ended up happening....but let's be honest; it's sugar. Can you really go wrong?

2 comments:

  1. So basically, when you mix the ingredients, do what feels right and you really can't go wrong since it's all good stuff? Sugar and apples and add some vanilla bean! Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, you're so funny! You devoured this before getting a pic! ;o) I can understand why, though. I accidentally enlarged the photo; and, OH MY, it made me want some right now!

    NEVERTHELESS, Erin, don't give up on your own photography. Your pics add your very own touch, which I just love!!!

    HAPPY FIRST ANNIVERSARY TO YOU AND TAYLOR, TOO!!!

    ReplyDelete