Saturday, October 25

doodlesnickers

These were "too healthy" tasting for Taylor. My dad and grandparents raved about them. So. you win some, you lose some. I think I tried to make these first because I had a lot of whole wheat flour and wanted to find something I could make with it, besides Aunt Elaine's Pancakes

Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles
INGREDIENTS
1 -1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 -1/4 c. all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 c. butter
2 eggs
1 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1 T. vanilla extract
1 T. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
---
1/4 c. white sugar
2 T. ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375. Cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Combine the remaining dry ingredients and gradually beat into creamy mix. Combine the white sugar and remaining cinnamon. Roll the dough in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.

This isn't the exact recipe I made and I may try this one tomorrow. The one I actually made was good, but could've been sweeter and I didn't have Cream of Tartar at the time. I'm going to try substituting the sugar for brown sugar, adding vanilla and lowering the temp. from 400 to 375. So, consider yourself disclaimered. I've seen a few comments on All Recipes.com about making them with apple sauce. I think that might actually help them spread out more -to avoid having to smash them like pb cookies before baking them -by adding more liquid to the dough, and may make them lighter feeling since the w.w. flour does have a heavier feel. Again, stay tuned. I may perform a smashing versus apple sauce experiement. Regardless, adding applesauce may not give me much to wager against tay's "too healthy" excuse. More for Dad and Grandpa, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. We loved those cookies! Keep experimenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you call them doodlesnickers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Erin, there was a typo in my previous comment. So, I deleted it.

    NOW, here goes again:

    I really did like these snickerdoodles, Erin, especially the whole-wheat taste. They are the best snickerdoodles I've ever had!

    Love,
    FYM

    ReplyDelete