Sunday, October 26

the applesauce chaos

So herein lies the debate. I'm not really sure how I feel about overhealthifying a cookie. I mean at some point you need to just let yourself have a cookie. If we eat two dozen applesauce whole wheat cookies because we think they're healthy, we may as well should have enjoyed one very-bad-for-me shortening filled triple chocolate fudge delight. But, obviously, if you can make a great tasting healthy cookie it can't be a bad thing. It just means that you shouldn't eat more than you usually would, given the knowledge that it's healthy.

All that to say, I tried it with apple sauce and it was THE messiest experience. The dough was so moist that I got it all over my fingers and all in the sugar cinnamon mixture. What I ended up doing was dousing my left hand fingers in flour, spooning the dough into my left hand and rolling it around before throwing the floury goupy into the plate with the cinsugar mixture. Here's the aftermath:
Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles with applesauce
INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup applesauce
2 T. butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
--
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS
Cream applesauce, butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Add combined dry ingredients. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

I don't know why I didn't try to flatten a few with the bottom of a cup. Next time I will try that, but I think I will also go back to butter. I think I will do butter, all whole wheat flour (instead of including all-purpose) and maybe a little more sugar.

Taylor liked them! But I think he was just hungry.

3 comments: