Wednesday, April 15

meatballs of veal

So part of me wishes I could retire all blog posts and leave those scones at the top. Not only are they the epitome of my baking aspirations but that picture matches my color scheme so well! It's just the perfect little post with the perfect little picture. But alas, life goes on and so does vittles. I have no idea why, I don't even really like them that much, I'd been wanting to make meatballs with veal. They were fun and a pretty easy way to sass up spaghetti with jarred tomato sauce. Ah! I've admitted to using jarred tomato sauce! A working girl's gotta do what a working girl's gotta do.

Veal Meatballs
inspired by Emeril L. & Rachel R.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup day old Italian bread, crumbled
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup wine
1/2 cup finely minced yellow onion, sauteed
3 clove garlic, minced, sauteed
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
dash of lemon juice
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 pound ground veal
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl soak the bread crumbs in the water and wine, then squeeze dry. In a large bowl combine the bread crumbs and the remaining ingredients, mixing with your hands until smooth. Cover and chill for half an hour.

Heat oven to 425. Shape the veal mixture into 1-inch balls. Spritz bottom of rimmed baking dish or cookie sheet with olive oil. Evenly place balls on cookie sheet and spritz tops with olive oil. Bake 10-15 min depending on size of meatballs.
This, I think, is a good base for meatballs. Most of them involve a mixture of meats like pork, beef and veal. I however, could not buy that much ground meat without drowning us in a variety of ground meat leftovers. So I chose veal. Other recipes suggest pan frying or browning in a pan then cooking in simmering tomato sauce. While I thought the cooking in tomato sauce sounded yummy I chose not to do that for a variety of not worth going into leftover situations. But basically the more separate I keep my meal ingredients the more leftover options I allow myself. Had I cooked them in the sauce, they would have been married. Oh the complex thoughts that go through my head. Anyway, Taylor liked these. And don't they look like savory little goobers on that bright yellow dish. Similar in visual savoriness to my Venison Steaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment