Thursday, April 30

m&m cookies

If swine flu precautions hadn't shut down school for the rest of this week, my crazy homeroom would have been able to share in the enjoyment of these little nuggets. But such is not to be, and they won't even believe me when I tell them on Monday that I had cookies all ready for them, prepared with love and anticipations of good behavior on Wednesday night.

I had an M&M surplus, ranging from Christmas to Easter varieties. When my sweet husband asked me to pick up some more of his cookie "break and bakes" from the store on my way home from the gym I told him no. But I'd make him some real cookies. He was a little confused as to how I could make such a thing materialize from the depths of our pantry... poor deprived husband has forgotten where cookies come from.
I LOVE how chewy these are. I don't like cakey cookies as much and this recipe, found on the M&M website, fit the bill perfectly.
INGREDIENTS
adapted from m-ms.com
1 cup butter softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup M&M candies
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt; blend into creamed mixture. Stir in M&M's. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and centers are still soft. Do not overbake. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; cool completely on wire racks. Store in tightly covered container.
But in all honesty I'm a fan of his "break and bakes." I firmly believe they are are one of the tickets to marriage sanity. T can pop two or three in the oven any night of the week at his leisure and I don't have to face the temptation of a bowl full of cookie dough. Because when I do it is a sight to behold.

4 comments:

  1. Erin, you're such a sweet wife AND teacher!!! And, Taylor benefits from this swine-flu shutdown! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got some too! Sorry homeroom ~ they were good!
    oh wait!!! I just realized I have two left in the ziploc in my purse.....hmm, should I tell my husband??

    He's already asleep...I could eat them and he'll never know I had these delicacies stashed away to share....to share or not...such a dilemma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever have M&M's left over I will try these yummy looking goodies! It's been fun looking at your blog. I will have to make your Mac and Cheese sometime soon. So many things to cook and bake, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look just great! And how kids would love them! Now you'll have to do them again another time!

    ReplyDelete