Friday, January 6

Winter Slaw Salad with Orange Tahini Dressing

Bartlett's has an Asian salad that I really like involving mint, mango and avocado. When I saw a winter slaw recipe calling for a tahini orange dressing, I decided to make something similar because I have a jar of tahnini, oranges and orange juice crying out to me from the fridge. 

We had this with a chicken and broccoli dish: 
I marinated pieces of chicken in an Asian marinate then stir fried them in 2 tablespoons of peanut oil. Pulled the chicken out once cooked. 
Added to the same pan about a cup of broth and about 2 cups each broccoli florets and halved brussels sprouts along with 2 teaspoons each garlic, fresh grated ginger and red pepper flakes, scraping up the meat pieces and stirred. 
Simmered until cooked and liquids reduced. 
Tossed it all back with the chicken and about 1/4 cup soy sauce!

This dressing was really good and this salad has a great variety of textures and flavors. It tastes really fresh but hearty at the same time with the tahnini dressing. Which is technically why it's called a slaw, I believe. Taylor would not have eaten it had I called it a slaw, however.

Winter Slaw Salad with Orange Tahini Dressing
adapted from My New Roots, to whom the picture belongs.
Ingredients:
2 cups each shredded Savoy cabbage, purple cabbage, kale (I only did purple cabbage, about 3 cups)
2 cups shredded carrots
2 scallions, finely sliced
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
½ cup chopped mint
½ cup slivered almonds
1 orange, cut into bite sized pieces (mango would be ideal but I have oranges coming out my ears... it was great)
3 T. roasted sesame seeds or even better an Asian Spice Mix (such as Adams Reserve Asian Spice rub which is a mixture of sesame seeds, garlic, sweet pepper, red pepper and green chili pepper flakes, turmeric and garlic)

Tahini Cream Dressing with Orange
Dressing:
Makes 1 cup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp.  agave or honey
1/3 cup tahini
2 Tbsp. water
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
a couple pinches of salt
zest of 1 orange

Directions:
Combine herbs, nuts, fruit, shredded cabbage, kale and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients together (or shake up in a jar). Add water to thin to desired consistency. Toss desired amount of dressing with salad once you're ready to serve. Garnish with extra parsley, mint and sesame seeds.

This dressing would be good over soba noodles too.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, you're such a gourmet cook! Wow! Asian food I love! This sounds GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete