Saturday, January 31

Penne in Vodka Cream Sauce

The recipes that I combined to make this involved first browning prosciutto or Italian sausage in olive oil and garlic. I tried it with ground venison because I wanted to use it. I thought it was good; Taylor said he could taste the vodka too much so I may use less next time and allow it to reduce better than I think I did this time. And of course the sauce can be put on other types of noodles.... here is the doubled version of the recipe.

Penne with Venison in Vodka Cream Sauce
INGREDIENTS
1 (16 oz) package dry penne pasta cooked according to directions
1 T. olive oil
8 cloves garlic minced
1 lb ground venison (or a package of prosciutto or other meat...)
1 t. red pepper flakes
2 (16 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 c. vodka
1 c. heavy whipping cream
3/4 c. Parmesan cheese
parsley, basil, and cracked pepper
DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in wok or large pot over medium. Add garlic and red peppers. Saute slightly about 2 minutes, stirring continually. Add meat and brown. Stir in tomatoes and about 1 t. each of dried parsley, basil and cracked pepper...to taste. (though about 1/4 c. fresh would be better) Cook tomatoes until they begin to break up, either about 3 minutes on medium or simmering 15 minutes on low. Stir in vodka and bring to a boil, then add cream and simmer, uncovered about 15 minutes. Add cheese and melt. Toss with cooked penne.

I accidentally bought crushed tomatoes instead of whole peeled and as a result, I think it was more liquid-y. So as it happened, I'm uncertain about the best way to recommend cooking the tomato base. Using crushed tomatoes, I brought the tomato, meat mixture to a boil and then simmered it covered on low for 15 minutes. I think crushed tomatoes would have been fine as long as you did a little less cream and vodka, because they are more liquid-y. Or you could do half crushed, half whole if you wanted some chunks..... but then the recipe is hard to half (like I did) because what do you do with two leftover half cans of tomato product? Also, I think it's important to simmer the vodka and cream addition uncovered so the alcohol can reduce.

Anyway, I'm going to make it again! Sorry for the delay in recipe deliveries and lack of pictures! New feature! wine recommendation! We drank Bogle "Old Vine" Zinfandel with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment